Guest Blog-The Rainy Run

I live in the desert.  In case you didnt' already know.  So when it comes to running in the RAIN... I'm like a fish out of water (pun intended)!  That's why AMY has agreed to share her story on dealing with the wet stuff!

Guest Blog: Helloooooo from Seattle!



Hi friends! My name is Amy, and I blog over at http://runlikeabird.blogspot.com/. While contemplating things I might have a little more insight to add compared to Mr. Arizona over here, the first thing that popped into my head was the rainy run.

As a lifelong Seattleite, I do know that there are some conflicting stories about the weather here. While the trend seems to be that we’re considered one of the rainiest large cities in the country, some people pipe in and say that we spread this myth in order to keep the beauty and bounty of the Pacific Northwest all to ourselves.

There’s truth in both stories, I suppose, but let me put it this way: if I refused to run in the rain, I’d miss about 50% of my training runs during the Fall and Spring and 25% of the rest of ‘em.

Also… I’ve spent WAY more time picking out the right rain jacket than choosing a bikini.



So, if you’re one of the lucky few who has recently been relocated within the vicinity of a temperate rain forest, here’s the deets concerning those rainy runs:

The Gear:

1.      Bodyglide:

USE THIS LIBERALLY. Everywhere.

2.      Hat with a bill:

Excellent for keeping sideways rain from your face. I also tend to play with the rain running along the bill when I get bored at stoplights… but that might just be me.
3.      Sunglasses:

Sun protection? Ha! Rain protection.

4.      Long sleeves and capris/leggings:

While I tend to overheat, having a thin layer on your arms and legs can keep the rain from chilling you too much. SAY NO TO COTTON, FOLKS! I love the long sleeved tech shirts some races hand out, like this year’s Kirkland Shamrock Run!

5.      Saran wrap:

I’m moderately addicted to having my phone with me at all times on a run, but my iPhone armband isn’t waterproof. While sure, I could go purchase a fancy waterproof case for this very purpose, I’ve found that wrapping your phone in saran wrap before tucking it into the armband works just as well. Just don’t count on taking awesome photos on the run.

6.      Non-cotton socks:

Unless you like blisters. Then, by all means…

Other Stuff You Oughta Know:

1.      Shoes. I’ve yet to find a great pair that doesn’t get drenched on rainy run days, though my Asics were definitely better than my Mizunos at keeping my feet dry. Regardless, when your run is over, make sure to “open up” those shoes and let your insoles dry out before your next run. Keep those feet fresh!



2.      If you write directions on your hand when you’re trying out a new route… use indelible ink.


3.      Rain layers?
I’ve yet to find a rain layer made for running that doesn’t turn me into my own personal sauna. If you find one, please email me. Seriously.

I know running in the rain isn’t quite as glamorous as getting your jog on while the sun’s making your hair shimmer and your muscles glisten, but this tendency towards downpours is what keeps the Pacific Northwest so beautifully green. For that reason (and many others), I consider it a privilege to rock the rainy run.



Comments

  1. Hi Amy! Great post! I've always wanted to visit Seattle. I've got another tip for you! When I run in the rain and want to dry out my sneakers I stuff newspaper in them! It absorbs all the water. I read this tip somewhere awhile ago and now use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip! I'll definitely try that newspaper trick out next time I run in the rain... which is probably sometime this week. :) Come visit; our summers are gorgeous!

      Delete
    2. Best thing I learned in high school running cross and track! it also helps with the odor that mud, grass and water can make.

      Delete
  2. I'm totally on board with Amy on the phone thing too. The one race I've ran in the rain, I wrapped mine in a ziplock baggie and put it in the arm band. Worked great! Thanks for the tips Amy! Be sure to check out her site for more great tips and stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the Ziplock thing, too! It worked beautifully for Color Me Rad last year. :) Thanks for featuring me this week, Jeremy. You're a star!

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to visit Seattle! I've heard it is gorgeous. I'll have to try the saran wrap trick! Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit! I promise it's not all "Seattle Freeze" up in he-yuh.

      Delete
    2. I visited Seattle two summers ago... and it rained almost the whole time, go figure! lol However, I still loved visiting... just don't think I'd want to LIVE there! lol.

      Delete
  4. Running in Southeast Alaska (150+" of rain a year). Dump the IPhone and get a Nokia. Much more durable in the inclement weather. In the rain keep your head warm. Carry an extra hat in a sandwich bag in your armsleeve pocket to swap out when your hat gets soaked. Good gloves and socks. Wool synthetic blends. I love running in the rain! On Twitter @ALASKANJACKSON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much 85% sure I'm going to invest in a Garmin FR 220 sometime soon to work on my phone obsession. :) Nothing's going to take me away from my beloved iPhone, though. Shh. Don't tell Microsoft.

      Delete
    2. @ALASKAJACKSON my sis used to live in Alaska.. she wasn't fond of running there! LOL.

      Delete
  5. I love running in the rain so long as its not too cold/windy! Glad I'm not the only one who uses sunglasses to keep the rain out of my eyes :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel so shady running around in low light with them on, but nothing beats sunglasses at keeping the drops out of your corneas. Thanks for the kudos, friend!

      Delete
    2. "I wear my sunglasses at night..so I can.. so I caaaaann see!" :)

      Delete
    3. No worries Amy

      Bahahahaha @ Jeremy!!

      Delete
  6. Sizen offering the wide variety of affordable sunglasses like ray ban sunglasses, bamboo wood sunglasses and more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If there is anyone who is looking for the podiatrist for Foot and Ankle Surgery then visit Medical Center in West Houston. Get more information at https://twitter.com/hope_jacoby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Social Media Influencer

Favorite Gear Giveaway!